Stay up to date and learn from experts in the field with our Tune in on Tuesdays webinar series. NDCI features an expert led webinar one Tuesday per month at 2:00 p.m. EST. Join us live or feel free to watch one of our recorded presentations at your own leisure. Recorded presentations can be viewed by visiting our webinar archives.
Expanding Your Treatment Options for Individuals with Co-Occurring Disorders
May 21st 2pm EST
Presenter: Dr. Kim Mueser
Description: Research shows that the expansion of treatment options is critical to addressing individuals with co-occurring disorders in the criminal justice system. This module is designed to provide drug court professionals with information about specific treatment approaches to include in their programs to assist those with co-occurring disorders.
At the end of this module, participants will be able to:
- Describe the new definition of recovery from mental illness
- Identify evidence-based and promising treatment approaches for the co-occurring population
- Discuss how to improve individual treatment plans
Know Who They Are and What They Need: Screening and Assessment for Co-Occurring Disorders
May 28th at 2pm EST
Presenter: Dr. Roger Peters
Description: The relationship between substance use and mental disorders is complex and critical. Rates of these disorders in criminal justice settings are much higher than in the general population, and there many drug court participants have co-occurring disorders. Drug Courts are uniquely positioned to effectively intervene with persons who have co-occurring disorders. An important first step in developing specialized interventions for co-occurring disorders is to provide integrated screening prior to drug court entry. More in depth assessment of co-occurring disorders following program entry allows for rapid triage to specialized treatment interventions, case management, and supervision. This webinar will examine validated screening and assessment instruments for co-occurring disorders, strategies to determine eligibility for drug courts, and approaches for placement in specialized drug court services.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe several challenges in conducting screening and assessment of co-occurring disorders in drug courts
- Identify several instruments to screen and assess for co-occurring disorders, including instruments examining major mental disorders, substance dependence, PTSD/trauma, and criminal risk
- Understand basic strategies to screen and assess for drug court eligibility
- Make adaptations to drug court assessment procedures to address co-occurring disorders